Haulin Dirt

Thursday 15 September 2011

“Are you (not) sick, Mommy?”

Since last week, I’ve been experiencing piercing headache. I’ve been to the doctor twice, but it seems that my headache loves me so much that it doesn’t want to leave me.

There was one time that I was lying on the bed while Hendrik was playing the keyboard. He was trying to get my attention as he wanted to show me that he was practicing one of the piano pieces (I cannot remember which one). 

Feona:          “I have headache. It is so painful”.
                        (With matching action and facial expression that depicts pain). 
Hendrik:      “Are you sick, Mommy?”
Feona:          “Yes, I am sick. My head is so painful”.
                         (Hendrik came closer, gave me a long hug while lying down and
                         pat my shoulders.)

Throughout that evening, Hendrik would always check on me and ask me if I was still sick, to which I would answer yes and that I still have headache.

Then, in the middle of the night he was awoken (for milk time), and the first thing he did after asking for milk was to look for me and asked:

Hendrik:       “Are you okay, Mommy?

It never occurred in my mind that Hendrik would remember what I told him earlier, and never did I expect that he would ask me if I was okay at that point of time. I was so surprised by this very sweet and thoughtful act that seemed so natural for him that my senses were also awoken. Then, I answered:

Feona:          “Yes, I am okay. Drink your milk and continue sleeping…”

This week, Hendrik has been monitoring me and asking me how I was:

Hendrik:       “Are you sick, Mommy? Do you have headache?”
Feona:           “A little bit. I have a little bit of headache”.

I know that he would not be satisfied until I tell him that I am fine. So as to appease him, I told him yesterday that I was not sick anymore. But then again, he wanted to confirm and make sure that I am really fine:

Hendrik:       “Are you not sick, Mommy?”
Feona:           “Yes, I am not sick anymore. Thank you for asking my love…”
Hendrik:       “You’re welcome”.


~~~ end ~~~

1 comment:

  1. how sweet the little boy....@_@ our children, it's always when they show us these kinds of gestures when we feel most lucky to have them...you're very lucky to have a very loving and thoughtful son miga!

    ReplyDelete